At Explora, Saturday November 18th, 2017, a free-admission day set up in collaboration with the Ministry of Health, Bambino Gesù Children’s Hospital, CNR (Italian Research Council) and CIN (CNR Immunology Network) to celebrate the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child, adopted by the General Assembly of the United Nations on November 20th, 1989.
The Convention sets forth the right to health in article 24: a whole day at the Children’s Museum will be devoted to families who, through workshops and meetings with scientists, doctors and researchers, can become familiar with vaccine-related topics, specifically with an insight into micro-organisms.
The goal of the day is to protect the children’s right to health through an exchange with Scientists, Researchers and Doctors. Only a steady and open communication can ensure that medicine and science be a support for parents who bear the responsibility for protecting their children’s health.
Activities are for all different age groups and take place in all the Museum’s areas.
Workshops to be booked take place in the exhibit pavilion:
- I wash my hands, for children aged 3-5 years, to discover the world of bacteria living in the human body and around us, making the experience a starting point for minimising risk factors in our daily life. The activity makes use of microscopes to get children familiar with the Research tools. Activity conducted by the Explora facilitators and Researchers;
- I protect myself, for children aged 6-7 years, to find out how immune memory triggered by vaccination works to fight the ten most widespread viral or bacterial infections (tetanus, poliomyelitis, diphtheria, hepatitis b, haemophilus influenzae b, whopping cough, measles, parotitis, rubella, chicken pox). Activity conducted by the Explora facilitators and Researchers;
- The world of DNA, for children aged 8-11 years. Extracting DNA from fruits to find out where it is, what its shape is and whether two alike DNAs exist. What are viral and bacterial DNA and RNA and why do they interfere with the normal functioning of our body? Activity conducted by the Explora facilitators and Researchers.
Free-admission activities taking place in the Museum indoor hall area:
- I get myself vaccinated, I can’t, I don’t want to, for children aged 3 years and up, animation for children and adults to learn about and simulate the concept of herd immunity with an entertaining group animation.
Activities taking place in the bookshop:
- Two readings at 11:00 am and 04:00 pm “Experimenting with zombies, vampires and other monsters”.
Activity conducted by the Explora facilitators and Researchers, duration is 30-40 minutes, booking is required: call number +39 06 3613776.
During the whole day parents and children can talk to and ask vaccine-related questions to doctors and researchers.
Age: 3-11 years
When: November 18th, 2017, from 10:00 am to 07:00 pm.
How to attend: Online booking from the Explora website is required to be admitted to Explora free of charge.
Collect your tickets at the ticket office up to 15 minutes prior to your entry time. Your booking will lapse when the visit begins.
Activities taking place in the Museum: Booking is required for admission to the museum only, as of November 13th.
Access to activities is limited and booking is required at the museum within the first 30 minutes after visit starts.
Free activities taking place in the outdoor areas: No booking is required.
Readings at the bookshop: For booking, call number +39 063613776.